Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob's FXR project

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    What's the CBR engine with water and radiator and associated cooling pipework?
    I'd figure the radiator is much the same as the FXR oil cooler + plumbing.... certainly not worth the 6 kg difference.
    Slower than James May

2. The Following User Says Thank You to timg For This Useful Post:

Brendan (02-07-2017)

Thanks
    Probably finished this project now haven't you?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Probably finished this project now haven't you?
    LOL, I wish! but quite a lot of progress has been made....

For a long time I've been drooling over the GPR bikes and bending Scotts ear, or dreaming of sticking a FXR engine in a RS125NX4 chassis.
    As some of you know I bought a Pre '96 RS125 in time for the 2T GP bike themed CAMS/Mike Pero Southern Classic Festival last year.
    I had a loose plan of running the RS there and then getting a GPR frame and using my hot FXR engine and the RS running gear to build my GPR bucket.
    That way I wouldn't be butchering the RS frame and retain the ability to put it all back together in the future.

However I really enjoyed the wee RS at levels - it was a ball of fun although I'm pathetically slow on it and I didn't/don't want to sacrifice it to the bucket gods. The RS wasn't quite Pre '96 legal having had the frame replaced at some time with a '98+ frame. I got hold of a Pre '96 frame for the RS which meant I now had a spare NX4 frame hmmmm.... what to do There's quite a bit of work and engineering required to get an FXR engine into the NX4 frame and a GPR frame would certainly be the easier option. A chat with Scott and he said he's over building FXR frames. Bugger - the easy option just disappeared. Buying the necessary RS bits off eBay or the Jap auction sites individually is expensive - around $6k+. Buying a complete bike with a blown engine or rolling chassis would be way cheaper so I started trawling the www and various forums. One chap put me onto another who knew of an Aussie bucket racer looking to sell a NX4 based bucket for a while. One thing led to another and last Thursday a RS framed CBR150 came to live in my shed for about 1/2 the price of building up a GPR rocket ship.

I'm sure the naysayers will shit themselves yeah yeah yeah chequebook racing blah blah blah not in the spirit of buckets yadda yadda yadda Get over it!

It's got some fancy stuff on it - Megasquirt/Microsquirt programable fuel injection & ignition with a SV650 throttle body, TPS and injectors, fancy data logging dash, bits and pieces of various other bikes and the coil from a VW! While it is supposed to be race ready some of it looks pretty agricultural so there's quite a bit of sorting and tidying to be done before I'm putting my old bones on it.

Also, being an Aussie bucket it's bored out to their max capacity which is 0.91cc over our capacity limit hence the NZ F4 legal barrel and piston a few posts back all ready to go into it

IMG_78431.jpg IMG_78051.jpg

Hopefully it will be good to go for KOL 2 then the BOB
    Last edited by timg; 03-07-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    Slower than James May

Thanks
    Great score. Shoud be a lot of fun!

Thanks
    thats cool , mine is getting there but like Timg said , i'm im i bit over building frames , maybe i just need a break

Thanks
    what cc do they run in ozzy ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    what cc do they run in ozzy ?
    4T 4 valve 150 is 159cc max in Aussie, 158.09cc max in NZ. A bloody pain replacing a perfectly good cylinder and piston for 0.91cc difference, maybe I can sell it back to the Aussie's
    Last edited by timg; 13-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.
    Slower than James May

Thanks
    Slow progress but we're getting there. Every thing I touch falls apart! Shonky wiring, fuel pump stopped working and full of some kind of muck - dunno what the Aussies have in their fuel
    IMG_7927.jpg
    A replacement fuel pump arrived from eBay during the week, cleaned the tank and injectors/throttle body as best as I can and it's running again.

It was supposed to have come with a fancy as android phone dash/data logger - the phone was buggered and the bluetooth gizmo not working. I have a Trail Tech rev counter/dash like I've used on my previous buckets but that won't communicate with the VW coil over plug/Megasquirt engine management fitted
    IMG_7956.jpg
    and Trail Tech support have been unable to provide a solution. A phone from TradeMe and other stuff from EFI Analytics arrived yesterday and with some buggering about we have a functioning dash
    IMG_7971(w).jpg
    Cool eh!
    Looks like we're on track for a run at MCI's have a go day next weekend
    Last edited by timg; 30-07-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    Slower than James May

10. The Following User Says Thank You to timg For This Useful Post:

Brendan (07-08-2017)

Thanks
    I think it survived the day!?

Thanks
    Yeah, it went quite well. Doesn't seem to have the same power as my GPR or Waldo FXR's had & the Hoogie CBR flew past me on the drag down to the hairpin. It handles nicely as you'd expect. Probably totally wasted on a slow old git but I'm having fun and that' all that matters for me. The fancy dash was a pain in the arse losing connection with the engine management system after a couple of laps each session. Bloody electrickery. A bit of work to do yet before the BOB. Cheers.
    Slower than James May