Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    why? Its going to be dry and 19 deg
    It never rains when I bring wets
    Slower than James May

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    Sufficient....
    I will have to line you up (-: good luck with the race , i wonder what your bike weighs compaired to mine , mine was 78.5 kg with at lease 1.5 letres of fuel in it , on kart scales

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I will have to line you up (-: good luck with the race , i wonder what your bike weighs compaired to mine , mine was 78.5 kg with at lease 1.5 letres of fuel in it , on kart scales
    Well that's the BOB done and dusted for another year. A bit of a mixed bag This is my first DNF at the BOB On the positive the bike is quick when it's going and I did a bucket PB time Started the day with fuelling problems which were sorted in time for the BOB. However in the first race the bike cut out then started up fine in the pits. Checked the wiring and crossed my fingers but after a few laps or so of the BOB the bike cut out again. Flick the switch off and on and the bike starts just fine and continue only to have it happen again a few laps later. Some kind of ignition problem. The only Aussie bit left that we didn't change was a non standard ignition sensor - looks like that may be the issue.... Time will tell.
    Slower than James May

4. The Following User Says Thank You to timg For This Useful Post:

masterblaster (23-09-2017)

Thanks
    looks like you did get a good time out there , well done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    Well that's the BOB done and dusted for another year. A bit of a mixed bag This is my first DNF at the BOB On the positive the bike is quick when it's going and I did a bucket PB time Started the day with fuelling problems which were sorted in time for the BOB. However in the first race the bike cut out then started up fine in the pits. Checked the wiring and crossed my fingers but after a few laps or so of the BOB the bike cut out again. Flick the switch off and on and the bike starts just fine and continue only to have it happen again a few laps later. Some kind of ignition problem. The only Aussie bit left that we didn't change was a non standard ignition sensor - looks like that may be the issue.... Time will tell.
    Ok. Before I go buying more stuff to replace 'suspect' components has anybody got any ideas on what the problem may be?

The bike runs well for several laps (approx 2 to 10 or so) then suddenly dies. No coughing or spluttering, it's just like the ignition was switched off. Flick the ignition off then on again and the bike starts immediately and continues for several more laps.

The wiring on the bike originally was crap and it was replaced in it's entirety. The Microsquirt efi ignition was replaced with a new Ignitech ignition, the VW coil replaced with a generic bike coil from Ignitech, I went thru every connection at the track and none are or appear to be loose.

Wallace sent me back out to watch the rev counter when the bike stops. As soon as the bike dies the revs stop showing apparently confirming an electrical gremlin as if it were a fuel issue there would still be a spark and therefore rev counter would be reading the spark.

It's still got it's charging system. The battery was new for this bike and is showing 13.8v.

There were several different opinions as to what it could be. Anybody else got any suggestions? Thanks
    Last edited by timg; 24-09-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    Slower than James May

Thanks
    are you running the standard cbr pick up , mine would not run with it, with a Ignitech ? maybe mine was stuffed or needed to change somthing in the Ignitech setting to make it run ?

Thanks
    It's using one of those newfangled miniature batteries that Wallace found isn't it ?
    If you can find the space, try it with a conventional battery. I've had similar symptoms (on bikes) when a battery has an internal fault.

And yes, I'm a luddite who prefers known old tech.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It's using one of those newfangled miniature batteries that Wallace found isn't it ?
    If you can find the space, try it with a conventional battery. I've had similar symptoms (on bikes) when a battery has an internal fault.

And yes, I'm a luddite who prefers known old tech.....
    Thanks. Yep. In fact I put Wallace on to them. I've used the UltraBatt lithium batteries on all my previous buckets and my last couple of road bikes. Will try a regular battery if needed.

Scott suggested the Ignitech has a cut out if 18v is exceeded which could make sense with the symptoms if the rec/reg is dying. I'll stick a multimeter across the battery, set up a fan and run the thing for a while and see what volts it's putting out. Nothing wrong with old tech - all the fancy new fangled pain in the arse Microsquirt efi engine management stuff, geewhiz bluetooth phone dash and data logger bs is in a box in my shed replaced by a tried and proven ignition and carb which apart from the cutting out was working well once the fuelling was sorted. Cheers
    Slower than James May

Thanks
    It looks like Scott may have been on to something.
    From my reading about rectifiers on the interweb they should put out 15-15.5v DC or thereabouts.
    The voltage starts around 13 and steadily climbs. Turn the bike off and and re-start it and the voltage starts again from 13 and climbs.

The ignitech is supposed to switch off at 18v but hadn’t by 18.5v but I’m guessing that at some point it’s enough to trigger the ignitech to shut down.

IMG_8408w.jpg
    Slower than James May

Thanks
    thats good news at least , will see what spears are in my box